Board of Directors, Canadian
Federation of the Humanities & Social Sciences
Former Canada Research Chair, 2002-2012
On Sabbatical in 2016-17.
Please note: Dalhousie University is shutting down all faculty webpages. If you're thinking of taking any of my classes in the future, please download and save the pages while they're still available.
On this page: Courses | Research Interests & CV | Related Online Resources and Academic Associations | On University Issues
Go to: Selected Curriculum Vitae | Bibliography of Nineteenth-Century Irish Literature
Courses (2015-16): ENGL4990 (Fall), "Capstone": preliminary syllabus; ENGL3040 (Winter), "Irish Literature, 1700-1900".
Selected Previous Courses: ENGL2002 "British Literature after 1800" (2014-15); ENGL4809 "Communicable Romanticism: Medicine, Literature, Politics" (2014-15); ENGL3040 "Irish Literature, 1700-1900" (2013-14); ENGL3025: Romantic Era, 1789-1832 (2013-14); ENGL5402: Literary Theories in/of Romanticism (2012); ENGL4805: Nationalism and Romantic Literature (2011); ENGL5402: The Gothic Century: Romanticism and Gothic Literature from 1764-1864 (2010); ENGL1010: Introduction to Prose and Fiction (2011); ENGL5407 "Landscape and Loss: Nineteenth-Century Irish Literature" (2006); ENGL5404 "Ireland and the Geopolitical Imaginary in British and Irish Literature, c. 1750-1850" (2008); EURO2100X "Europe: Ideas, Culture and Society" (Fall 2008).
nationalism in Europe (1789-1914), nineteenth-century British
literature, cultural studies, and the gothic (esp. Irish gothic
literature up to Stoker and gothic television, from Dark
Shadows to Millennium and Supernatural).
CV: For a list of my books, articles, selected conference papers, etc., please click here.
Links for British and Irish Literature and Culture (1780-1900):
- Bibliography of Nineteenth-Century Irish Literature
- Belphégor: Popular Literature and Media Culture
- The William Blake Archive
- British Women Playwrights around 1800
- Jack Lynch's Eighteenth-Century Resources
- Romanticism and Victorianism on the Net
- Victorian Web
- Victorian Women Writers Project
- Voice of the Shuttle
- Women Romantic-Era Writers
Other Useful Links:
Homepages for Related Academic Associations
- North American Society for the Study of Romanticism (NASSR)
- American Conference for Irish Studies (ACIS)
- Association of Canadian College and University Teachers of English (ACCUTE)
- American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies (ASECS)
- British Association for Romantic Studies (BARS)
- Canadian Association for American Studies (CAAS)
- Canadian Association for Irish Studies (CAIS)
- Canadian Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies (CSECS)
- Interdisciplinary Nineteenth-Century Studies (INCS)
- International Gothic Association (IGA)
- Modern Language Association (MLA)
- North American Victorian Studies Association (NAVSA)
- Northeast Modern Language Association (NEMLA)
- Victorian Studies Association of Ontario (VSAO)
Resources on University Issues